"Long Cliff - from the Old English 'Lang' meaning long or tall and 'Clif' meaning an escarpment, a hill-slope; a river-bank.".
Ref: Ref: Key to English Place-names - University of Nottingham
Langcliffe is a pretty village on the edge of the Yorkshire Dales National Park
and bounded by the River Ribble to the west.
Located to the immediate north of Settle, the village has a population of approximately 333.
The parish includes the small hamlet of Winskill that lies to the north-east of the village.
The village has been designated as a Conservation Area which means that it is of 'special architectural or historic interest, the character or appearance of which it is desirable to preserve or enhance'.
The parish church, St. John the Evangelist, was built in 1851.
Langcliffe High Mill was built in the 1780s and was one Yorkshire's earliest and largest cotton-spinning mills . The mill continued to operate until the 1950's after which it operated as a paper mill. It's now occupied by a packaging company.
Watershed Mill was built in 1785 as a spinning-mill but converted to a weaving-mill in the 1820's. The mill continued to operate until the 1950's. The mill buildings now house a retail outlet and café.
The Settle-Carlisle railway runs along the west of the village and it was the opening of this line that made possible the building, in 1873, of a Hoffman Continuous Kiln by the Craven Lime Company. The kiln and associated limestone quarry were closed in the late 1930's. The magnificent kiln is now a scheduled monument and a 'wonder' of the Settle Area.
There are 13 listed buildings in the parish.
Langcliffe Conservation Area >>
In and Around Langcliffe