The Shambles

A Grade II Listed Building
built in c. 1780

 

 

Market Place   Settle   BD24 9EH
 

The Shambles dominates the north side of Market Place.

The Shambles was built in c. 1780 as a row of shops with single-storey cottages above and basements below.
In 1887 the building was purchased by the Settle Market Building Co. Ltd and the cottages were
partially demolished and reconfigured by adding an upper storey and removing the external north stairway in 1888-89.
(ref Settle - A Historic Market Town by David S. Johnson)

Today, a variety of local businesses occupy the ground floor and basement and residences occupy the upper stories.
 

More Information

britishlistedbuildings.co.uk >>

Welcome to Settle